Technical Data

Click to hide.


In May of 2005, Mascoat was called offshore to review a problem that Anadarko was having on their Marco Polo Platform.  The fin fan cooling lines were placed too close to the deck above causing multiple problems. First, the decking above the fin fans was getting so hot that if a worker was to stand still long enough, the rubber soles of their boots would begin to melt. Second, the handrails around the perimeter of the platforms conducted enough heat that they exceeded personnel protection limits (180?F or 82?C.)


School AC wth industrial coating The application had to occur during an outage on the platform because the fin fans had to be shut down. Also, temperature readings of the pipes could not be tested. Therefore, Anadarko had to assume that that the piping was operating between 325-350?F.


Prior to installing Mascoat, the piping was coated with a standard 3-coat coating system (Inorganic zinc, epoxy and urethane) and installed within one year of the initial visit. Mascoat’s recommendation was to scuff the slick urethane topcoat to ensure proper adhesion.  Due to the short window of the outage, Anadarko did not follow the recommendations and simply allowed the applicator to clean the urethane with water and rags before application.


Since there were so many unknown variables with the project and the proper surface preparation recommendation was not followed, Mascoat made a very conservative recommendation as to the amount of product that was needed. 120 mils (3.0 mm) were applied to the piping and 60 mils (1.5 mm) to the underside of the deck that was exposed to the radiant heat of the piping and fans. When the platform was put back into service, the decking and handrails were lowered to ambient temperatures. All parties involved were extremely happy with the outcome of the project and workers were able to safely work in the area without fear of burns or melted soles.


2005 was an extremely active year for Hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico. Hurricanes Katrina and Rita rolled into the gulf a few months after the application was completed. Even after exposure to multiple storms with winds speeds exceeding 100 mph (160 km/h), Mascoat’s coating was still intact and performing as expected.